The conference will be held at UNSW Sydney, NSW 2052, Australia at Kensington Campus. A campus map can be found here.
Transport from the airport
The entry lane of Sydney airport is slightly south of UNSW. So if you have a window seat on the right of the plane just look out, spot UNSW and remember the way from there to the airport.
There is free wifi at the airport. So you can get an Uber. The pick-up area for Uber drivers is the green area in this map. You can also take a taxi from outside the Terminal Building. A taxi from the airport to UNSW will cost approximately $40-$50; and to the city centre $50-$60. More information on those two options is available here.
To use public transport you will need an Opal card (see below). From the airport take the red Metroline 400 bus service to UNSW (approximately 45 minutes) or the train T8 to Green Square Station and bus 370 to Anzac Parade.
Full details on transport to and from Sydney Airport is available from the Airport's webpage.
To use public transport, you will need to purchase an Opal Card from a station, Relay or WH Smith. The card is for free, but you will need to put money on it and then pay as you go (tap on and off at every train and in every bus). A trip from UNSW to Coogee is about $2.20, a trip to the city centre about $4.
Journey information is available from the local public transport site. The app TripView Lite is advisable for live updates of buses and trains.
On Sunday, there is a flatrate charge of $2.70 for public transport all day. This includes a trip to the Blue Mountains and all ferries, for example.
What to do in and around Sydney
- Sydney Opera House -- Do we need to say more?
- Harbour Bridge and Bridge climb (or just a walk across)
- Stroll through the lush Botanical Gardens and enjoy a superb view on the Opera House in front of the Harbour Bridge.
- Relax at Coogee Beach, have a swim or a surf in the ocean, or take laps in Wylies Baths, an ocean pool with a grand wooden platform. Coogee Beach is also a perfect starting point for a coastal walk to Bondi (roughly 6k; don't forget sunscreen!).
- Learn how to surf at Maroubra, Bondi, or at Manly Beach.
- Take a train to the Blue Mountains. Katoomba is the standard tourist option, but there are many options for 1-2 day hikes, many of them reachable by train. The Royal National Park is another nearby option for outdoor enthusiasts.