Eduroam is available on campus. There is also the possibility to join the UNSW Guest network. You will need to register with your email address and then have access for 8 hours (and you can repeat the registration process as often as you want).
Food venues around UNSW
We have prepared a google map with various places to eat, including restaurants, cafes, lunch spots at the university, etc. The university lists all places to have coffee or lunch on campus on this webpage. And here is a comprehensive list of eateries (and other shops) along Anzac parade.
From September 2019, passengers can pay for public transport in Sydney by tapping on and off using American Express, Mastercard or Visa debit or credit card, or with an Opal Card. The Opal webpage contains information for traveling contactless (with a credit/debit card) and for using the Opal Card. You can purchase an Opal Card from newsagencies or convenience stores. The card is free, but you will need to put money on it and then pay as you go (tap on and off at every train and in every bus). A trip from UNSW to Coogee is about $2.20, a trip to the city centre about $4.
Journey information is available from the local public transport site. The app TripView Lite is advisable for live updates of buses and trains.
On Sunday, there is a flat-rate charge of $2.70 for public transport all day. This includes a trip to the Blue Mountains and all ferries, for example.
What to do in and around Sydney
- Sydney Opera House -- Do we need to say more?
- Walk across the Harbour Bridge, visiting the Pylon Lookout on the way. If you're feeling adventurous (and have booked in advance) you can try the Bridge Climb.
- Stroll through the lush Botanical Gardens and enjoy a superb view on the Opera House in front of the Harbour Bridge.
- Relax at Coogee Beach, have a swim or a surf in the ocean, or take laps in Wylies Baths, an ocean pool with a grand wooden platform. Coogee Beach is also a perfect starting point for a coastal walk to Bondi (roughly 6km; don't forget sunscreen, a hat and water!).
- Learn how to surf at Maroubra, Bondi, or at Manly Beach.
- Take a train to the Blue Mountains. Katoomba is the standard tourist option, but there are many options for 1-2 day hikes, many of them reachable by train. The Royal National Park is another nearby option for outdoor enthusiasts.